Picnic Table Upholstery

We've had this old wooden picnic table forever, since our early days in Seattle, so sneaking up on 20 years now. Rick keeps scraping it and sanding it and painting it with ever thicker layers of turquoise paint, but the Taos sun just trashes it every summer. Poor old table. We still love it, and believe in fixing and using what we already have whenever possible. It needed help, but clearly more paint was not the answer.
Yes, of course my dog has a beaded collar, but she prefers to call it a necklace.
The first thing I did was move it over to the porch on the shady side of the house. Duh! It's not just better protection for the table, but a much nicer place to sit and eat. I have no idea why we didn't think of this before, but the thought has been thunk now, and put into action.

So yesterday I was looking at the peeling paint, and realizing that Rick will have no time to deal with it again before fall, I took the job into my own hands. Of course my hands do things quite differently than Rick's do. Mentally searching the house for something-I-already-have, I remembered the oil cloth I bought a while back, to protect my dining room table on Craft Days, and to use as a table cloth on the picnic table. Looking at it all spread out, I thought about the wind that would constantly blow it away, and our meals along with it. And that's when my mind went to the staple gun, the perfect solution to all sorts of problems.

In no time I had the table and benches neatly wrapped and stapled, sealing in the peeling paint and splinters, and giving us a clean, smooth surface to set our plates and elbows on. It's perfect. I love it. And maybe someday I'll get up the guts to reupholster that darn cushioned chair I bought at a yard sale... 30 years ago.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today's Beads

~~~
1, 2, 3, 4
NOT Bracelet Beads
See the description in the column to the left.
These measure about 15-18 mm across.
Bigger beads with smaller holes!
$25 each



~~~
5, 6, 7
NOT Bracelet Beads
See the description in the column to the left.
These measure about 15-18 mm across.
Bigger beads with smaller holes!
$25 each



~~~
 8, 9, 10
Bracelet Beads
See the description in the column to the left.
Please specify:
"Naked" - $20, or "Silver" - $30



~~~
11, 12, 13
Bracelet Beads
See the description in the column to the left.
Please specify:
"Naked" - $20, or "Silver" - $30




~~~
14, 15, 16
Bracelet Beads
See the description in the column to the left.
Please specify:
"Naked" - $20, or "Silver" - $30











Comments

  1. The cloth made a difference. It made the old picnic table look like a new furniture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Popular posts from this blog

cats are not dogs, and how tangling string untangles frustration

where to buy what i make

soft spring scarf

yarn that speaks for itself

and what do you do?