Frabjous Day Fritters


I did not believe for one moment that The Rapture would come on Saturday, although I thought it was a nice idea for certain people to be lifted off the planet. But any excuse for a party will do, so I looked into my magic refrigerator, and came up with a decadent snack that fairly screams of celebration, while making use of only things I already had on hand in the kitchen. After all, where's the sense in buying more food the day before the world ends?

The name, Frabjous Day Fritters, comes from the poem, Jabberwocky, and just sounds like more fun to me than the word "rapture", which always reminds me of "rupture." Anyway, if you're still here, as I imagine you are, celebrate that today, and fry up some fritters for you and your friends.

Frabjous Day Fritters

You will need:

2 red potatoes
2 carrots
1/2 onion
1 cup rice flour (or any other flour you like)
3 T arrowroot
1 T baking powder
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
1 tsp coriander
2 tsp dry basil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
organic, unrefined coconut oil for frying (It smells so good. Use it on your skin and hair too. Wonderful stuff.)

In a food processor, grate the potatoes, carrots, and onion.
Transfer to a large mixing bowl, and stir in flour, arrowroot, and baking powder.
Return half the mixture to food processor, and blend till almost smooth.
Return blended mixture to mixing bowl, and stir into unblended mixture, along with all other ingredients.
I use my hands to get it all mixed together well.
Roll mixture into balls, and flatten in your hands to make little patties.
Fry in hot coconut oil till golden brown on both sides.


Drain on paper towels, and sprinkle with salt if you like.
Serve hot with warm peanut sauce, or any other dipping sauce you come up with.

Here's how I make Peanut Sauce:
I make a big batch, so we can use it for several days. Usually we eat it up much faster than that.

In a large saucepan, slowly heat:
a whole jar of organic peanut butter
a large can of coconut milk
fresh grated ginger - a lot - maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup to taste
(Hint - freeze the fresh ginger to make it easy to grate)
juice of 1 lime
tamari for desired saltiness

red pepper flakes or hot sauce for desired spiciness
maple syrup for desired sweetness

I never measure anything for this sauce. Just add and taste, add and taste. It's a terrible job, but somebody's gotta do it... Add almond milk to thin it down if necessary, and serve hot with fritters, or over noodles, rice, veggies, etc. If you ask my family, peanut sauce makes just about anything better.

Comments

  1. grated zucchini is also great in fritters. after grating, let it sit 1/2 hour in a collander and then press out all the liquid you can. love, katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look and sound really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!! I was just saying to my BFF that I wish I had a recipe for peanut sauce!! Thanks Kim!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Popular posts from this blog

cats are not dogs, and how tangling string untangles frustration

where to buy what i make

soft spring scarf

yarn that speaks for itself

and what do you do?