Ice Music

My apologies for skipping out on you yesterday. I was busy in the studio, making something... new. I'll show you in a follow up post today. Must be Twos-day! (And a little side note: several of you have been commenting twice to the same post... no, no, no my darlings. Go back and delete your extras or you will be disqualified from the drawing. Sorry, fair is fair to everybody or nobody.)

So last night, after a day of focused and quite unusual inspiration--OK, one small hint... steel and diamonds--Rick and I scooped up our pal Karena, and drove up to Taos Ski Valley for an Ice Music Concert. I've shown you pictures of the ski valley in summer, when we go up hiking. We like to stop in at the Bavarian for beer and fries with mustard, and sit outside soaking up the view and the sun. We did the same thing last night, at least the beer and fries part. But as you might expect, the ski valley is filled with snow this time of year, so to enjoy the outdoor music, we had to bundle up in lots of layers, and dance rather than lounge.


Ice Music is truly that--music made on instruments that are made of ice. And they're not weird pretend instruments. They're things you've seen and heard before, like a cello, and guitar, drums, and a xylophone. There was also a big standup bass and violins, but no musicians to play them this time. I would have loved to hear the violins... might have to go up again... but we were not at all disappointed in what we got. The ice bodies of the instruments create a clear, beautiful sound that's somehow more "pure" than wood. And it was explained that the molecular structure of the ice actually changes as the concert goes on, because of the vibrations of the music, changing and fine tuning the sounds even more. The only non-ice instrument was a harmonica, which makes sense!



From what we saw on the website, we thought there would be an actual ice theater, but we learned that that's in the works. But the concert in only about an hour long, and it was fun to have a reason to stand outside on a cold, clear night, dancing, singing, looking up at the stars. We also imagined that we'd hear some sort of classical music, but it was actually more like "Woodstock On Ice," ending with an impromptu solo by "transgalactic electro-cellist", Michael Kott, that rang out across the mountain in a most eery and beautiful way. If you get the chance to see and hear Ice Music for yourself, I think you should! Visit the website for more (better) pictures, and tickets, and keep up with them on Facebook, so you'll know when the movie they're working on comes out. This music is so weirdly wonderful. Easy to fall in love with, and we did.



~~~~~~~~~
Leave a comment on this post to be entered to win next week's Gratitude Bracelet. Enter once on each post from now to next Thursday, and I'll hold the drawing on Friday morning. More details are in the column to the right. Good Luck!


Comments

  1. I'm thinking it might have an ethereal quality. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am astonished at the idea of musical instruments made from ice. This is now on my bucket list. It reminds me of a moment in Garden of the Gods-Colorado Springs, CO- when, too tired to hike anymore, I sat down on a rock only to find an eldery lady unpacking a backpack harp. She then proceeded to play the most amazing harp melodies which were carried up the canyon walls to, I am sure, the angels themselves. Ice Music is definitely on the list! (ellen ob)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorie documentaries on the National geographic channel is the ICe Hotel they make in I think Sweden. It is absolutely wonderful. Everything is made of ice. Chairs rooms, cathedral ceiling, beds, beer mugs, stained glass(ice) windows. This would be a wonerful concert to play at this hotel. People get married there. I think it is only opened 4-6 weeks. Takes about that long to build it. Beth, in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I am literally in awe of the ingenious talent that created 'Ice Music'. Beautiful! Wish I could hear it.
    diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds pretty darned cool...or cold as the case may be lol!

    \IiiI

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if it sounds much like the tuned water glasses when you rub the rims. Definitely something to check out when get my sound card replaced (I keep saying). Look forward to your new creations, Kim. Norine

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is tooooo much excitement for one post!!!! Ice music and new jewelry ideas.....I am excited and looking forward to your next post when you will reveal the new inspiration!!! Meanwhile, I will spend some more time exploring the website on ice music. Thank you for brightening my day:-)

    Diane in Pa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can not wait to show this post to my son !
    I try to buy him unusual(affordable)instruments
    for his collection whenever I find them.
    I would love to give him a night of hearing ice music !!!!
    I never knew anything like that existed !!!
    Thank you for sharing !!! m.e. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never heard of such a thing as ice music but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the exposure Kim! Levonne

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard of this but never really "heard" it,thanks for reminding me so I can check it out
    Nice you're able to do all these cool "wintery" things. It's been in the high 60's around here
    ~Sharon~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh now you made me very curious about the new stuff you've been making!
    The concert looks great, nice atmosphere with the snow!

    Hugs, Carolien

    ReplyDelete
  12. It did make me cold looking at that...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ice and steel. I saw a bracelet at a show that was made from steel, blackened and inset with diamonds. It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Musical instruments made of ICE is one thing. Making musical instruments out of ice that actually make music is incredible! Must sound AMAZING!! Sara in FL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a fine time. I do not know how to delete my one extra post. Suzie

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun evening! The desert rat in me gets the shivers. Try as I might I can't figure out hoe to delete a post....sorry

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't be a rule breaker...once for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's amazing how many unique things Taos has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow...ice music. I think you might be able to use that title for one of your new jewelry pieces. Intriguing idea...... jewelry AND music

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Popular posts from this blog

cats are not dogs, and how tangling string untangles frustration

where to buy what i make

soft spring scarf

yarn that speaks for itself

and what do you do?