Christmas Pi

A few years ago, Rick built a really nice labyrinth in the back yard, out of river rock and gravel. It's a wonderful, calming, meditative space. To be clear, a labyrinth is not a maze. While a maze has options, allowing you to get lost and bump into dead ends, a labyrinth has only one way in, leading you to the center, where you pause and leave your troubles before taking the same winding route back out. A lot of people don't know that. Now you do.


After the labyrinth was completed, we felt it still needed... something. And as Rick looked around the yard for inspiration, he found three nice cedar poles that fit together perfectly in a sort of Asian looking archway. It also looks like the symbol for Pi, and we soon dubbed it the Pi Gate.

The little spruce tree we used to decorate outside the house has doubled in size since we moved here, so this year we decided to decorate the Pi Gate instead. It looks just gorgeous standing out there all by itself at night. The lights on it illuminate the labyrinth enough for night walking under the Milky Way. And I guess I won't be surprised if we start to see strange objects hovering over the yard. We may have created a landing pad of sorts...


Rick doesn't know it yet, but I'm going to lobby for leaving the lights up year-round. It makes my eyes happy, and I'm much more drawn to go out there and center myself, in that beautiful light, surrounded by the soft, dark night.

Comments

  1. Beautiful pictures! I love evening shots. diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have that in my back yard. Suzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to create a labyrinth in my backyard. Such a wonderful way of meditation in such a stress-filled world. I agree with leaving the lights up year round. They are too beautiful to take down.

    \IiiI

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful idea. Looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful life you've both created for yourselves! Taos and your labyrinth look so peaceful and inviting. Love the lights too!
    Barb C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, leave the lights up year round! Walking labyrinths brings me so much peace. Had hoped to walk the one nearest to me for the Solstice, but I'm afraid it is going to be snow-covered this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect - year 'round. Norine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the lights. I also vote for leaving the lights up all year! Thay cast a nice soft on the labrynth. Sara in FL

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea to light the Pi Gate and have it as a year-round wonderland! It's a special reminder of the peaceful place that Rick and you have created in beautiful Taos.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. Walking the labyrinth under the stars by the glow of the Pi Gate...wow!

    Peace,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree. You should leave the lights on the Pi Gate. You don't have to light them every night, but do so when you feel thinned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! BTW, I received my zen pearls yesterday and I love them. Polly Anna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice! Happy holidays to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Almost every year, I attend a fabulous mother/daughter retreat at our church camp.
    I go with my mother-in-law because my mother has passed away. Near the end of the weekend
    retreat, all who want can go the labyrinth and walk towards the center...It is quite the experience. I love how you have one in your backyard! Cindi
    jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's beautiful. When I win the lottery and buy your house, I promise to take care of the labyrinth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that looks beautiful, so nice and colorful!
    Hugs, Carolien

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love colored lights so much more than the clear ones. The PI is just so beautiful and I agree with everone else...keep them up all year long to bring cheer to your lives. Beth

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the glowing PI !

    ReplyDelete
  19. The lights are fun and festive.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ABSOLUTELY!!! All year round : )
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Popular posts from this blog

cats are not dogs, and how tangling string untangles frustration

where to buy what i make

soft spring scarf

yarn that speaks for itself

and what do you do?