Uncle David

My Uncle David came to visit this week. If you've been here a while, you've kept up with the cast of characters. Mitzi is my cousin who lives here in Ashland, and David is her dad, my dad's baby brother. I've always adored my Uncle David. He was wild and cool and funny and rebellious when I was a kid, and I just wanted him to think I was cool too. I guess I still do. He's a bit less wild and rebellious these days, but still one of the coolest, funniest guys I know, and it was so much fun to have him camped here with us, and to spend more one-to-one time with him than I ever have before. Most of the time families get together for birthdays and weddings and holidays, and even though it's nice to have everyone together, I usually come away feeling like I didn't actually talk to anyone. This visit was nice because we were next door neighbors, and had time to walk the dogs together and just hang out and visit. We went up to one of the mountain lakes yesterday to pick up a load of firewood for the park, and had the nicest time afterward, sitting in one of the shady, cool campsites up there, watching the lake and Mt. McLoughlin. We turned the camera on each other, not interested in getting everybody in one shot. No family portraits. No silly endless posing. Just a couple of snapshots to remember the day.

Here's Uncle David and Ranger Rick. Cute, aren't they?

And Rick and me, strolling on the shore.
Click to enlarge. It's a beautiful view.

The biggest our group got this week was 5 of us, when Mitzi and Ron came out to the lake for a swim, or we all went to dinner last night. It was perfect. We're a lively group, to say the least. OK, we're loud, and we all talk at once and laugh and tell jokes. We can clear a restaurant full of timid people in nothin' flat, but the ones who stay always wind up listening in and participating. We can't help it. We are jovial. But we all got to talk and visit and enjoy each other over a small table and some good Chinese food. I recommend the small family get-together. Give it a try. You'll get to know some of your favorite people better, and the planning and coordinating take practically nothing. 

Waving good-bye to Uncle David this morning, I started a mental list of other relatives I'd like to visit and spend some smaller, quieter time with. This lifestyle will let us do that, which is a real gift, along with so many other gifts that come with living small and simply and portably. Here we come, folks. I know most of you don't read this, but here's fair warning. Expect us in your driveway sometime soon.

Comments

  1. If you ever come east you can park in my driveway. I'll be your relative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, these are both cute guys - and the backdrop is gorgeous, too!
    Norine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Norine!
    And thanks Zoe - we'll be looking for relatives to mooch off of! ;o) Will make stir fry and trade beads for a parking space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, family adoptions are in order as we get to choose those as adults. Nearby Yosemite is beautiful, but the price is right in my driveway. Modesto is known to be half-way there (everywhere). Norine

    ReplyDelete
  5. We NEED to go to Yosemite, which will mean a visit to my Cousin Norine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHHA! And, people, believe about our loudness. We've driven more than one park ranger/hotel manager/neighbor crazy enough to come over and threaten our ouster! You said it well, my beautiful cousin! Glad you got to know my dad better.

    PS--He LOVED the food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family always disagrees on this point, but I believe, as you have also shown here, that smaller groups are the best for actually relating and visiting, otherwise there is too much noise and chatter, that no one gets good face time. I think parents with large families prefer to get all of the family together because they can see the extension of their line. With just a few relatives everyone can be heard, no one is slighted and restaurants don't cringe at the sight of 25 people entering and pushing tables together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Popular posts from this blog

cats are not dogs, and how tangling string untangles frustration

where to buy what i make

soft spring scarf

yarn that speaks for itself

and what do you do?